This years contest will be held September 15th & 16th and will be in memory of the great Howdy Forrester
It will be held at:
Country Oaks Baptist Church
20915 Schout Road
Tehachapi, CA 93561
Friday Night Contra Dance is back by popular demand!
Here are some maps to help you find your way:
More updates to come soon! Below is this years poster and schedule of events:
WHERE TO STAY: We have got a lock in on a great room rate with plenty available here in Tehachapi!! The rate each night is $110.99 + Room Occupancy Tax and covers both a room with 1 King Bed or 2 Queen Beds. The rooms with Queens are going fast, so reserve soon if you want to stay there. All you have to do is contact the Holiday Inn Express & Suites and mention you're there with the Fiddle Contest. If you have any problems, please contact Stephanie Rivera at (661) 221-3752 and she can help you out.
CALIFORNIA STATE OLD-TIME FIDDLERS ASSOCIATION, DISTRICT 3
FIDDLE CONTEST RULES
1. All contestants must be registered THIRTY (30) minutes prior their scheduled Division starting time. All contestants will draw for initial order of appearance when they register. Fiddle committee will draw order for the 2nd round; order will be posted with scores. Contestants must be in the auditorium ready to play when called or they will lose their turn and will be disqualified from participating.
2. FIDDLE DIVISIONS:
Small Fry (8 years and under) Junior Band Scramble (under 18 years)
Junior-Junior (9-12 years) Adult Band Scramble (18 years and over)
Junior (13-17 years) Open
Adult (18-49 years) Twin Fiddle
Senior (50-69 years) Accompanists
Senior-Senior (70 years and older) Picking (all any age)
In order to compete in the Twin Fiddle, a contestant must be registered in a fiddle division and compete as scheduled. Twin Fiddle Contest rules are listed separately from these. A contestant may not enter their age Fiddle Division and the Open Fiddle Division.
3. Any contestant winning 1st Place for THREE (3) consecutive years in a Regional, State, or National Old Time Fiddlers Contest move into the next higher Division; i.e. Small Fry will move to Junior-Junior and Junior-Junior will move to Junior Division. Junior, Adult, Senior, and Senior-Senior contestants win THREE (3) consecutive years will move into the Open Division. Winners for THREE (3) years consecutively in the Open Division must sit out the next year’s contest, or may be asked to judge the competition.
4. Accompanist awards will be determined by how many times the registered accompanist plays during the competition. Entertainment will be excluded.
5. Any contestant or accompanist that acts in an unsportsmanlike manner, is intoxicated, or under the influence of drugs, will not be allowed to perform. They will forfeit their entry fee and prize money, as well as be escorted from the contest.
6. NO instrument with electrical amplification will be permitted. Acoustical instruments only.
7. NO sheet music shall be displayed or vocals allowed while contesting. Only the Band Scramble(s) will allow vocal accompaniment.
8. NO Trick/Fancy Fiddling or exhibitions will be allowed. Tunes such as “MOCKING BIRD” or “BLACK MOUNTAIN RAG” are NOT acceptable. No cross-tuned instruments are allowed during competition.
9. ANY danceable folk tunes played in Old Time Fiddle fashion are acceptable.
10. Contestants may play without accompanist or with no more than THREE (3) accompanists. Accompanists may not play the melody of the tune.
11. Contestants at each appearance must play a Hoedown first, a Waltz second, and a tune of Choice (other than a Hoedown or Waltz) third. Time limit for all three tunes is FOUR (4) minutes. TEN (10) points will be deducted from the total score for each THIRTY (30) second interval or portion thereof that exceeds the allowed time. No tune shall be played more than once during all appearances of a contestant except Twin Fiddling. In the event of a TIE, each contestant will play a Hoedown. The Top 5 from the Small Fry, Junior-Junior, Junior, Adult, Senior, Senior-Senior, and Open will compete in the Second Round. In the second round, contestants will play a different Hoedown, Waltz, and tune of Choice (other than a Hoedown or Waltz) with time limit and penalties being the same as the first round. If short on time, contestants will play a Hoedown or Waltz with a THREE (3) minute time limit. First Place winners from each Division will play for the GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP Certification to the National Old Time Fiddlers Contest in Weiser, Idaho the 3rd full week in June.
12. If a contestant qualifies and does NOT play a second round, they will be moved to the bottom of the top qualified round and will forfeit their place in the top round. The next contestant will move up and play in the Second Round.
13. If a string breaks, the contestant will have the option to continue or stop at that point. If the tune is completed, it will be judged as played. If the contestant stops play, they will be allowed to begin with that tune and complete their program.
14. JUDGING: Old Time Fiddling Style – 25%, Rhythm/Timing – 25%, Clarity & Tone – 25%, and Difficulty Level – 25%. All scores will be cumulative. Contestants can pick up their scores at the end of the competition at the Registration Table.
15. Any Protest must be submitted in writing to the contest chairman and signed by not less than THREE (3) contestants of the same Division in the contest involved within ONE (1) hour of the protest occurrence. All decisions of the Judges and contest Committee are FINAL.
16. All commercial recording rights are reserved and shall become the property of CSOTFA District 3.
TWIN FIDDLE CONTEST RULES (in addition to the General Contest Rules):
1. Contestants must play TWO (2) Old Time Fiddle style tunes of choice: a fast tune and a slow tune. Contestants may use tunes that were used in the fiddle contest. In the event of a tie, they will play a tune of Choice. This is ONE (1) round only, no time limit.
2. JUDGING: Harmony – 25%, Rhythm/Timing – 25%, Clarity & Tone – 25%, and Difficulty Level – 25%.
PICKING CONTEST RULES (in addition to the General Contest Rules):
1. Picking instruments for this contest are: guitar, banjo, and mandolin.
2. Contestants must play TWO (2) Old Time Fiddle style tunes of choice: a fast tune and a slow tune. In the event of a tie, they will play a tune of Choice. This is ONE (1) round only, no time limit.
3. JUDGING: Picking Ability – 25%, Rhythm/Timing – 25%, Clarity & Tone – 25%, and Difficulty Level – 25%.
NOVELTY CONTEST RULES (in addition to the General Contest Rules):
1. Novelty instruments are ANY instrument except fiddle, guitar, banjo, or mandolin.
2. Contestants must play ONE (1) Old Time Fiddle style of choice. In the event of a tie, they will play another tune of Choice. This is ONE (1) round only, no time limit.
3. JUDGING: Musical Ability – 25%, Rhythm/Timing – 25%, Clarity & Tone – 25%, and Difficulty Level – 25%.
BAND SCRAMBLE CONTEST RULES (in addition to the General Contest rules):
1. Bands must play TWO (2) Old Time Fiddle style tunes of choice: a fast tune and a slow tune. Vocals ARE allowed. Total time limit is EIGHT (8) minutes. TEN (10) points will be deducted from the total score for each THIRTY (30) second interval or portion thereof that exceeds the allowed time. In the event of a tie, they will play a tune of Choice. This is ONE (1) round only.
2. Bands will be selected by drawing names from the categories designated at registration.
3. Band Scramble Registration closes TWO (2) hours prior to the Band Scramble Contest. Bands and practice areas will be posted.
4. Selected judges for the Scramble will be in the audience.